Here’s how the LEED Canada for Homes program works: one can gain points in each of the 8 credit categories. The number of points achieved determines the level of certification obtained, from certified (min. 45 points) to platinum (up to 136 points), of which 19 are mandatory.
Innovation & Design Process: Special design methods, unique regional credits, measures not currently addressed in the Rating System, & exemplary performance levels.
– Integrated project planning, Durability management process, Innovative or regional design
Location & Linkages: The placement of homes in socially & environmentally responsible ways in relation to the larger community.
– LEED ND, Site selection, Preferred locations, Infrastructure, Community resources/transit, Access to open space
Sustainable Sites: The use of the entire property so as to minimize the project’s impact on the site.
– Site stewardship, Landscaping, Local heat island effects, Surface water management, Nontoxic pest control, Compact development
Water Efficiency: Water-efficient practices, both indoor & outdoor.
– Water reuse, Irrigation system, Indoor water use
Energy & Atmosphere: Energy efficiency, particularly in the building envelope & heating and cooling design.
– Optimizing energy performance, Insulation, Air filtration, Windows, Heating and cooling distribution system, Space heating and cooling equipment, Water heating, Lighting, Appliances, Renewable energy, Residential refrigerant management
Materials & Resources: Efficient utilization of materials, selection of environmentally preferable materials, & minimization of waste during construction.
– Material-efficient framing, Environmentally preferable products, Waste management
Indoor Environmental Quality: Improvement of outdoor air quality by reducing the creation of & exposure to pollutants.
– ENERGY STAR with IAP, Combustion venting, Moisture control, Outdoor air ventilation, Local exhaust, Distribution of space heating and cooling, Air filtering, Contaminant control, Radon protection, Garage pollutant protection
Awareness & Education: The education of the homeowner, tenant, &/or building manager about the operation and maintenance of the green features of a LEED home.
– Education of the homeowner or tenant, Education of building manager